An open letter to local businesses everywhere:
Now that you’ve started to embrace social media, it is time to take things to the next level. Yes, I am talking about you [insert local business name here]. As the big national brands have found out, you can’t ask customers to join you on social media without giving them value and respect in return. Here are some free insights (Why free? Because I really want to like you but you keep screwing up):
- An unmonitored Facebook page is worse than not having one at all.
- If you have many locations but not very many fans (less than 1,000), you’re doing it wrong.
- Stop treating Facebook and Twitter like marketing channels, they are communities that work on influence not brute force.
- Ease up on the promotions and ads (see item 3).
- Respond to comments in a swift and timely manner.